My favourite things this week…
- Grilling food on our“lanai”. Nothing tastes quite so good as grilled courgette and aubergine (um, wait, zucchini and eggplant 🙂 accompanied with a glass of chilled white wine on a hot evening.
- Williams – Sonoma. We discovered this shop at the weekend and I am in love. If I lived here I think I would buy out the store of its entire stock.
- Bennetts Fresh Roast coffee and doughnut store. Although I am not against pulling in to Starbucks for an iced coffee in moments when the heat becomes overwhelming to this fair English gal, I love that I found this great local place! The coffee is great, the comfy sofa hidden at the back of the store was the perfect place to finish up my favourite book of the year thus far, and the doughnuts? Well they are, quite frankly, heavenly.
- The library. It is a wonderful place. Have any of you seen Disney’s Beauty and the Beast? Remember when Belle first walks in to the library? I honestly have that feeling walking in to any room full of books. I even scour friends’ bookshelves the first time I visit their homes. I’ve been in love with reading since I was old enough to hold a book, so it is just pure joy to sit and read and study at the library here. For those in the UK who feel similarly, you should join the campaign to protect UK libraries from closing due to tax cuts.
- Josh Garrels – currently on repeat, this guys voice and lyrics bowled me over. Ben Webb, himself an awesome songwriter, recommended him on facebook and now I am hooked. I’m also semi addicted to the Noise Trade website.
- Skype. For keeping me connected this week with my parents, my in-laws, my sister, my Danish teacher and multiple friends. When you’re newly arrived in a city of retired people and feeling overwhelmingly anonymous, remembering you are known and missed is important.